Ecotourism: Principles, Practices & Policies for Sustainability
- Author(s): Megan Wood
- Organization: United Nations Environmental Program
- Date Published: January 1, 2002
This publication, intended as a preparatory document for the World Ecotourism Summit in Quebec, 2002, reviews the current status and trends in ecotourism globally, the challenges ahead and the lessons learned in over 15 years of ecotourism development involving a broad range of stakeholders.
Policies for Maximizing Nature Tourism’s Ecological and Economic Benefits
- Author(s): Kreg Lindberg
- Organization: World Resources Institute
- Date Published: January 1, 1991
This report focuses on two basic contributions of nature tourism:
1. funding for creation and maintenance of public and private natural areas through entrance fees, concessions, and royalties; and
2. economic opportunities that reduce the pressure to encroach on natural areas for food and fiber.
With this potential in mind, two questions arise: How much does tourism actually contribute to economic development? and Which economic policies increase nature tourism’s contribution without degrading the natural resources on which it is based?